October 14, 2019

City moves to acquire the Sample Our Flowers property - Daily Leader Extra : Top Stories

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

City moves to acquire the Sample Our Flowers property

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 7:49 pm

The Madison City Commission didn’t provide a unanimous vote, but the commissioners did approve on Monday having the mayor sign a real-estate purchase agreement with the owners of the Sample Our Flowers property in Madison.

Through the agreement, the city will purchase the property owned by Bert and Jenean Sample at the intersection of N.E. 2nd St. and Washington Ave. The Samples have expressed an interest in retiring from the florist business, but due to limitations as to how the owners can use the property; the options available for transferring ownership are limited.

The Sample Our Flowers shop lies within Madison’s floodplain, creating a complicated process for renovating the building.

Using a FEMA hazard mitigation grant program, state officials with the Office of Emergency Management have offered to provide up to $60,019 for the purchase of the property and paying for demolition and closing costs. The grant will pay for 75 percent of all expenses, and the city will pay the remaining 25 percent.

If the full grant amount of $60,019 is used, Madison’s share will amount to $20,006.

The city has offered the Samples $73,000 to purchase the real estate.

Mayor Roy Lindsay and city commissioners Jeremiah Corbin, Kelly Johnson and Mike Waldner supported the city’s purchase of the lot. Commissioner Bob Thill voted against the plan to purchase the property.